Whatcha been doing?

Several weeks ago I decided to start cutting away at Carter's infamous fingernail.  He wasn't too thrilled but allowed me to.  After a couple of snips he said it was making his tummy hurt.  I asked him if it felt like when he throws up.
He said, "No, it feels like it does when I sin."

The boys spent several days at my parents' house so Sam and I could have a "staycation" (it was wonderful, thank you soooooo much wonderful parents!!!!).  Mom said that Caleb kept telling her she needed to have a baby. 
She finally told him she was too old, to which Carter replied, "But Sarah had a baby when she was 99!"

A couple of days ago we were heading out to ride bikes and play in the woods/creek.  I was trying to get together all our stuff and Carter kept asking me to read from his Bible.  I told him we would read when we got back.
He gave me his best disapproving look and said, "We're supposed to put God first, Mommy."

I had been preparing Carter for the "you are 5 now and we are going to stop sucking our thumb at night" that was going to occur on the night after his birthday (I'm not cruel, I didn't ruin his birthday).  We told him that if he stopped sucking his thumb at night he could get a real electric train (I figure a train is cheaper than braces).  We put the band aid on his thumb that night, he crawled up in his bed and sobbed. 

It broke my heart.

But I stuck to my guns.

He ended up falling asleep just fine (with the help of a little cold medicine :) and slept through the night - although he was a little grumpy the next morning.  We have now made it through 4 nights, however he whines every night and tells me how hard it is.  Thursday night we talked about his train and that we could go to Hobby Town the next day and look at the trains, trying to encourage him.  Then Caleb piped up, "I wanna train! Put a band aid on my fingers so I get a train at Hobby Town tomorrow!"  I explained that you had to wear a band aid for 2 weeks to get a train.  He insisted on a band aid.  So, I put it on and again told him he would have to wear it for 2 weeks before he could get a train.  He said, "I get a train tomorrow!"  I told him, no, wear the band aid Thursday, Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon ...Thursday and then he could get one.  He then held up his finger and asked me to take it off. 
I took it off and he said, "After Fri, Sun, Tues, Mon, Sat, Thursday you put it back on and then I go get a train."

Hmmm, it doesn't work that way, but good thinking, buddy!

Melissa  – (September 9, 2010 at 4:54 AM)  

That is precious! I had a thumb-sucker too...oh my! Best of luck and hope that sweet boy has a blast with his train!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP